Hiscox in the community
We believe that companies can play a positive role in local communities, beyond creating economic benefits through employment.
Our policy is to contribute to Bermuda based charities principally in the areas of:
- Youth and family
- The environment
- The elderly, disadvantaged and vulnerable persons
- Education and sports
How we get involved is driven largely by our employees and any member of staff can nominate a Bermuda registered charity for assistance.
Hiscox Bermuda is the proud sponsor of the Hiscox 11 and under youth Cricket League providing a structured and fun way for boys and girls to get involved and develop their skills. We are also the lead sponsor of Reef Watch – a citizen-science initiative advancing coral reef conservation.
We also look to invest in initiatives that provide an opportunity for employees to play an active role. This includes our involvement in the Keep Bermuda Beautiful’s “Adopt an Area” initiative. Our area is Coney Island Park where we remove litter and other discarded items throughout the year. We also take part in YouthNet’s Reading Mentoring programme and once a week visit the first year students at Northlands Primary School to read with them.
Recent charitable initiatives
- Bermuda Sloop Foundation — providing character and educational development for young people through sail training on the Spirit of Bermuda
- Eliza Dolitte Society — Helping to feed the hungry members of the Bermuda community using meal programmes and a foodbank
- The Family Centre — strenghtens families and support systems to create a healthier Bermuda for our children
- WindReach — enriches the quality of life for all people, especially those with special needs
- Outward Board — Run buy the Bermuda Police Service - provides outdoor education and activities for Bermuda's youth
- Bermuda Stroke & Family Support Association — bringing stroke survivors and their families together to cultivate personal coping resources and educaiton on stroke prevention and treatment.
- Open Airways — Provided oxygen concentrators for use by elderly and disadvantaged COPD patients
- Boccia Bermuda— Bringing the sport to children, seniors, able bodied individuals and those with special needs
- SCARS — Aims to reduce the risk of child sexual abuse and provides advocacy for children who have been molested and their affected family.